Hidden Valley 2014

So yet another a week of Hidden Valley scout camp. But this time was different, because this time I was put in a leadership position. Well, not put in a leadership position, but when opportunity came, I took advantage. I moved to Nashua, NH, and therefore had to join another Troop. My new troop is fantastic. The best part is that I had to work to become a leader. Nothing is handed to anyone, you work your way up. '

So back to camp, it was a blast as usual. But there were obstacles, as there would be. I was prepared. But the obstacles I was expecting was more towards weather and my merit badges, but the obstacles I face came out of nowhere. I had a few issues with homesick kids, but the biggest obstacle was seeing my troop struggle sometimes. That's where I brought my experience and with a chance to prove myself I may have tried to show off. In all seriousness, I presented myself well, but what really helped me out was all the experience and fresh ideas.

There was one situation where we were all uncoordinated, no one was listening to anyone, and I was in charge. It was all a huge mess. I quieted my troop down and made them realize that the only time they were wasting was their own. I enforced a chain of command and everything ran smoothly. Hard work pays off, and we had a blast the rest of the week now that we had a clue about what we were doing.

 It taught me a lot about being a leader. A leader isn't someone who tells people what to do. But don't get me wrong, you do have to get the job at hand done; you would teach them and work alongside them, as a mentor and a peer. I knew that trying to do everything by yourself doesn't work. You must delegate and when you get frustrated you need to persevere. You can't let one obstacle put you down. As a wise 8th grade science teacher told me "Adapt and Overcome".

But the best thing is to have fun. Not too much, not to little. All in all, I tried and made the week such a fun time for my troop, and helped out my Senior Patrol Leader to make his week easier and everybody else's as easy as possible. I think we rode through the week and I see a good things for years to come for this troop.

Comments

Popular Posts